Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Take My Life (A Prayer)

Have you ever taken some time out of your day to think about the words you say in the worship songs you sing? I love spending time listening to the lyrics and really dwelling on what they mean. If I'm not leading in worship I also love turning those songs into personal prayers during the service. The song Take My Life is a song that we sang at Global Youth Camps last year and I remember this week last year (on June 18th Wednesday night to be exact) we were at Eagle Eerie in Lynchburg VA for camp. After we had finished leading the music for the evening service I decided to slip outside for a little bit to spend some time in prayer. It was this very song that I dwelt on and turned into a prayer this time last year.

Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
(God, please take my life and help me to always surrender it completely to You. Please be in charge of my life and my decisions.)
Take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.
(Take even the smallest parts of my day, and every single one of my days, and help me to use them as a way to bring your glory and honor and praise. May I always glorify you in everything that I do and may I never grow tired of praising You.)
Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of Thy love.
(Help me to reach out in love to people and show them You love.)
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for Thee.
(Direct my steps in the directions you wish them to go. Here am I Lord please send me out to where you want me.)
Take my voice and let me sing
always, only for my King.
(God, I pray that I will only use my voice for You. Help me never to sing to bring attention to myself but only to glorify and honor you. You are my audience of One. May I never forget that.)
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from Thee.
(God, please use me as a mouthpiece for what You want to be said. May the words from my mouth be pleasing to You and be from You.)
Take my silver and my gold
not a mite would I withhold.
(Help me to remember that my physical blessings are from You and belong to You. Help me to use them in a way that best glorifies and honors you. Show me how You want me to use them. May I never keep them for myself.)
Take my intellect and use
every power as You choose.
(As I study and learn more, God I pray that it would help your purpose for this world. Help me to grow wise in Your ways and use my intelligence for You and not myself.)
Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee.
(God I surrender to You all of my life. May you take control of everything that I am. Help me to not hold on to anything of myself. Help me to see areas that I may not be surrendering to You so that I may lay them at Your feet.)
Take my will and make it Thine
it shall be no longer mine.
(May Your will be done in my life, not my own. I know that You know best God so please help me to live out what You want for my life.)
Take my heart it is Thine own
it shall be Thy royal throne.
(God, my heart belongs to You. Help me to guard it so that it will always be Your first and foremost.)
Take my love, my Lord I pour
at Your feet its treasure store
(Help me to fall more and more in love with You everyday. May I have a life that is always in love with You.)
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.
(You are what I am all about. May You always be my heart's focus and desire! Be my everything and help me to always keep you as my everything in my life!)
Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee.
(My heart my mind, my strength, my soul, God everything that I am including my thoughts, my time, my hands, feet, voice, lips, possessions, intellect, will, heart, love and everything else that makes up me; may it always be about You. God Here I am, make me and mold me into what You want me to be. My life is Yours. Do with it what You want.)

I hope that you will take some time aside to turn songs and even scripture into prayers yourself.

1 comment:

  1. i remember this song and this week at Global vividly. take my life was one of my favorite songs that i heard that week...its message is absolutely amazing and it is one that i had never heard before. thank you for sharing this LynZ...this honestly really convicts me of my attitude and actions. i know that i am not always focused on the Lord the way that i want to be and should be. i have also never thought of making worship songs into prayers...i m thinking that i will def start to do this. in fact i m thinking my first song will be Hosanna... ;)

    ReplyDelete