Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Different Kind of Vision (Psalm 146 cont./John 20:24-31)

So for those of you who do not know me, let me first start out by telling you that I have some serious vision problems. One of those problems that get people talking the most is the fact that I am completely color blind. I have NEVER seen a color in my life! All I see is black, white, and gray. It is like watching life through a black and white movie.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say the reason they do not believe in God is because they can not see Him. They believe that people have been fooled into believing in an imaginary God. They believe this for the simple fact that He can not be seen. I have heard people try and explain how this isn't true with many different arguments including the one where you can't see the wind but you can see its effects. Many Christians will say that just as you can see the effects of wind in the trees, you can see the effects of God in people's lives. Most non-believers claim that those people are just fooled. Well, I'd like to ask them to prove to me that color exists. Is it possible that the entire world is trying to fool me into believe that color exists when in all reality it was just made up to make them feel better and have fun? Of course not!

John 20:24-31
24Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.
25So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."
28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
30Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.

31But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

I know so many people who have also told me how sad it makes them to know that I have never seen a color. I mean, I can't even imagine what a color looks like. But just as it breaks their hearts that I have never seen a color, it breaks my heart to know that they will never see God. Just as I can not imagine a color, and have no idea what I am missing, there are people who have no idea of the type of relationship they could have with a loving God. At least I know that one day I will get to see colors in heaven. There are people who will spend an eternity without knowing God and to me that should break every one's heart more than not seeing color!

In Psalm 146:8 it talks about how god gives sight to the blind. I feel like God has certainly given me sight' a different kind of vision. I have a vision to see the lost hurting people come to have a relationship with a loving, forgiving, and holy God.

No comments:

Post a Comment