Monday, June 8, 2009

Psalm 62/Exodus 4 (For those working in ministry)

Ever felt discouraged and defeated come Monday morning? It's always hard when you plan and you pour into your ministry hoping for results, but those results seem to never come. I've had a good leader and friend once tell me, "It's as if we are hitting a large bolder with a rubber toy hammer." Have you ever felt that way before? Do you feel like God is asking you to slay ten Goliaths with only three stones? I know I have!

In Exodus 4 God is telling Moses what He wants Moses to do. Basically God is letting Moses know what His will for Moses life is. I really love this one section for the chapter that says,

10 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."
11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ?

12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."
13 But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."
14 Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you.

15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. 16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him.

I remember reading this my freshman year of high school and realizing that I could never use my vision as an excuse for not being able to do what God calls me to do. I mean c'mon, don't you think if anyone knows what we are capable of doing, wouldn't it be God? I also remember about two years ago I was doing a study on personality traits and on spiritual gifts. Mine seem to make no sense and aren't supposed to happen. I guess I am a strange combination of things. It really was upsetting me for awhile because I felt so confused as to why I was the way I was. How could I ever do what God wanted me to do with the type of personality traits and spiritual gifts I have? I feel like one of the things God wants me to do is help the hurting and I had some one bluntly tell me that there is no way they would ever come to me with their problems and that my personality isn't the type that can help hurting people. Then one day I realized that God knows who I am and He knows what He wants me to do and He will help me! He will provide people to come along the way and help as well. God doesn't just call individuals to do a task, he calls together a team of people that He knows far better than any of us. We just need to stay faithful and not give up. Our trust must be placed in Him no matter how frustrating things can get at times. God doesn't call the equip ed, He equips the called! One day I believe that rubber toy hammer will be able to break that giant boulder just like that one little stone and sling was able to bring down a giant warrior!

1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down— this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Selah
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah
9 Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,
12 and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment