Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hungry? Why Wait?

Hungry? Why wait? That was the theme of one of the dorm halls i lived on my sophomore year of college. At first I thought that the theme was kind of stupid. They took it from a candy bar and I could of cared less about a stupid hall theme. OK, so let's fast forward about two and half years to about last week.


Have you ever had bad cravings for food before? Like you start to think about something yummy like Coldstone ice cream or maybe a tasty sandwich from Burger King. I don't know about you but I get food cravings all the time. It isn't just wanting something sweet or salty, it is wanting something specific. Also I have noticed a common trend in my food cravings. I tend to crave food the most either when I have just filled my house with tons of food, or when I have no food left in my fridge or pantry. So this last week i have been craving ice cream, Burger King, and Domino's pizza. I probably wouldn't want that food so much if I actually had food in my house but I haven't had time or even a ride to go buy food for a few weeks now. That's probably the reason for why I have ordered from Domino's twice in the last week.



Not only do I get food craving, but I get cravings for water too! Have you ever been outside all day working hard or even just playing hard and you get so thirsty that your mouth actually feels dry? Man, when I get that thirsty i am able to drink all the water in the water fountain. (Obviously you can't do that but I think you get what I am saying.) Right now i am also trying to reduce the amounts of caffeine I have been drinking. I don't think I have ever though about going and buying a coffee beverage more than now! It seems like when I either have a lot of something available to me or none at all, I want it the most.



When I am hungry or thirsty and I have all that I want right there in large amounts it is so easy to take care of my cravings; but it is so much harder when I am craving something that I can't have. Why am I talking about this you may be asking? Well, it is because just like we have cravings for food and drink, we have cravings for God. Sometimes we don't say we are craving God but we are craving things that only God can truly fulfill.

All throughout the Psalms you read about David asking where God is and wanting God and even crying out to God. It makes me think of all the times I have craved God. My cravings tend to come pretty easily after I just had a large filling of His presence in my life. Do you know what I am talking about? It is those times when you have just come home from camp or a conference or even a really powerful worship service. Maybe you had an amazing quiet time or you read a book that just made you feel so close to God and you continued longing for that.But there are other times when I crave God. When I feel empty I tend to crave Him a lot. What happens though is that I don't recognize it as a craving for God. Normally it comes in a craving for love, or maybe a longing to be needed or desired. Have you ever wished that some one would care? Ever craved wanting some one to talk to? I have realized that when I get this way, it is normally because I have had a short supply of God in my life. Although I think I am craving something else, what I am really craving is God, His love, His care, and His attention.

A craving is normally an emotion that makes you long for something. I know that many people say you can't base things on feelings. Feelings should not dictate your life but feelings can help direct it. Sometimes when you feel things, it is your bodies way of saying you have a need. Cravings can be a feeling but if you look, even in the dictionary it says that cravings can also be needs. God gave us our feelings for a reason and He can use the to help direct us to Him

When I have no food in my house, i crave it but I can't get it. It is so much harder for me to find a way to get that food because I can't drive and I'm a college student. Some times I simply do not have the money. But if I really want that desired food enough, I will find a way. The question is, when you are desiring that love, acceptance, listening ear, friendship, etc. are you going to find a way to God? If you are Hungry for God, why are you waiting?

Draw near to God (first), and He will draw near to you. James 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment