Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 2

Genesis 13

Abram and Lot split ways. I have read over this before and it is obvious that you can make a case for arguing and quarrelling being bad form these passages but there is something else that stuck out to me when I read this. Abram called on the name of the Lord. When reading that, it was as if those words jumped out to me. When was the last time we called on the name of the Lord? So many times I believe we as Christians wait for God to come to us instead of seeking after Him. How desperate are we to meet with God? Desperate enough to spend 15 minutes in prayer? What about an entire day? Just something to think about.

Genesis 14

Ok. SO this may be wrong but the idea of armies falling into tar pits and dieing makes me chuckle. I love reading about wars int he Bible. 4 kings against 5 with tar pits and hill sides and battles. It makes me think of the Lord of the Rings movies and I get these awesome battle scenes in my head. Doesn't that excite you?
It amazes me how in this chapter Abram is going to rescue Lot but in the chapter before they split ways so that there would not be any fighting.
I love how Abram didn't accept any thing that was being offered to him. Money seems to rule the world and I wonder if we would be able to say no to money being offered to us even if we knew it did not please the Lord?

Genesis 15

As I read this it reminds me again of how we always take things into our own hands instead of trusting God with the details. Abram didn't see it possible for his wife to have a child so he decided if God wants me to have children then I have to find another way. Why is it that when God closes a door we always try to open another one? Man, we have a long history of not trusting God with the details!

Matthew 5:1-26

The beatitudes are famous for sermons. Not much to say there except that we should read over those again.
Salt and light solders. For any one who knew Jerry Falwell Sr. they knew the sermon. Salt is used to preserve things but if it loses it's saltiness than it is worthless for its purpose. I feel like when we lose our passion and heart for God, we lose our purpose. If that is true we need to seek after God more than anything else in this world. More than a job promotion and harder than a good report card. A city on a hill can not be hidden! If we are the light that reflects God's glory we should never live ashamed of God. I remember in High School I went through a faze where I was a little embarrasses to let people know I was a Christian. I was afraid of what they may think about me and I wanted them to accept me into their group so that I could "fit in" and then "witness to them." We should NEVER be ashamed of our relationship with God. We should never try and hide our light!
I love how these passages talk about murder being compared to having anger between you and a fellow Christian. It is more important to right your wrong than to ignore it and let it fester and build. How many times have we let anger get between relationships that could have easily been fixed with honest communication? This passage makes me want to go talk to some people and make sure everything is settled and ok. Good stuff!

Proverbs 5

This proverb talks about adultery and how it is wrong. One verse says don't even get close to her doorstep. It reminds me that we shouldn't fool with temptations. How often do we step close to the line saying well this isn't bad and I am not going to do anything? We shouldn't even be near the door that opens to what we are tempted with!
Ok. If you haven't read this chapter there is one line that will stick out to you. Does the Bible really say "may her breasts satisfy you always" ? This is talking about a married relationship but seriously, it always shocks me to read things like that! I love to read things in the Bible that shock me. Reminds me that the Bible isn't boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment