Thursday, May 21, 2009

Psalm 27

So for awhile now I have been really struggling with different temptations and spiritual attacks. I was telling a friend recently about some stuff I had been dealing with and he suggested i read psalm 27. The verses in this psalm really struck the chords of my heart.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.
(Everlasting God, My Hope's In You)

It amazes me how much confidence David had in the Lord. It reminds me of when David fought Goliath. He was so angry at the giant for bashing the name of his Lord. He knew that his God was big enough to take care of a giant and he went out in battle to slay him. I have started wondering a few things about myself when reading these first few verses. First of all, how upset would I be if I heard some one bashing the name of the Lord? Would I be upset enough to take action? Would I be willing to at least say something? Second of all, do I have the kind of confidence in God that David did? Sometimes I feel like giving in to the attacks and temptations I have been facing and i wonder if it is because I do not have a big enough picture of who God is.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. (Better Is One Day)

I love that part that says "to seek him." I can hear David's heart longing to be in the presence of the Lord. Man how I long to just sit in God's presence. I hope that all Christians do. I have heard time after time people talking about wanting to feel the presence of God. I think the important thing to realize here though is that if you want to feel the presence of God you have to seek after Him. Just like it says in James 4:8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." It takes action on our part before it takes action on His part. I think many times we get upset because we can't feel the presence of God in our lives, yet we are sitting around doing nothing about it. We sit and wait for God to take action when we need to take action first.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. (Your Love Oh Lord, Jesus Lover of My Soul)

I love this verse because it gives me the picture of God as my protector. I love how it talks about God setting us on a rock. God is our firm foundation. If we build our house upon the sand, it will come crashing down. If we build our house upon the Rock, it will stand strong. If I want to stand strong against the things I am facing then I need to seek after God and build my life upon His truths.

6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD. (Sing, Sing, Sing, Sing to The King, We Win!, Shout Unto God, Make A Joyful Noise/I Will Not Be Silent)

I love verses that talk about making music to God! This verse gives us the idea of music being a sacrifice to God. Because I love music so much and I believe it is an amazing way to connect with God, I put songs in parenthesis that would go with the different Scripture verses from this psalm.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.
(Came to My Rescue, Rescue, The More I Seek You)

These verses talk about calling out to the Lord. It reminds me of the importance of prayer. When your heart longs for God, you need to take time and seek God through His Word and through prayer. There are so many different ways to seek God and spend time with Him! I know as crazy as this may sound, I love to go sit on the swing set near my townhouse and listen to music. I can stare at God's beautiful creation and spend time just praising Him for what He has done. It's one of my ways of getting away from the world for a little while and taking time to just spend with God.

9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.
(Take My Life, Mighty to Save)

David recognized an important truth; God is the only one who can truly be our helper. People will always let you down, but God will always be there for you. He is our Savior!

11 Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.
(Search Me O God)

David realizes how easily he can get distracted from following what God wants for Him. That is why he is asking God to teach him how to follow God. In order to learn the ways of God we have to spend time reading and learning about God. The best source for this is Scripture. The best way to stand strong against our enemies is by knowing the Word of God which cuts like

13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
(Hungry, Lord You Are Good)

David ends this psalm by stating his confidence in the fact that he will see the goodness of the Lord. Sometimes when things are going bad it's hard to see how they will be used for God's glory but Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." The main point of this entire psalm is to realize that if we want to see this happen, and if we want to feel God's presence, then we must wait on Him and seek His face!



2 comments:

  1. This is GREAT Lynsey!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff my friend. I really like how you're putting songs in ( ) after each section of the Psalm. well thought out.

    ReplyDelete